HTML is an acronym which stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. Let's see what is Hyper Text and what is Markup Language?
Hyper Text: Hyper Text simply means "Text within Text". A text has a link within it, is a hypertext. Every time when you click on a word which brings you to a new webpage, you have clicked on a hypertext.
Markup language: A markup language is a programming language that is used make text more interactive and dynamic. It can turn a text into images, tables, links etc.
An HTML document is made of many HTML tags and each HTML tag contains different content.
Let's see a simple example of HTML.
<h1>Write Your First Heading</h1>
<p>Write Your First Paragraph.</p>
Description of HTML Example
DOCTYPE: It defines the document type.
html : Text between html tag describes the web document.
body : Text between body tag describes the body content of the page that is visible to the end user.
h1 : Text between h1 tag describes the heading of the webpage.
p : Text between p tag describes the paragraph of the webpage.
Brief History of HTML
In the late 1980's , A physicist, Tim Berners-Lee who was a contractor at CERN, proposed a system for CERN researchers. In 1989, he wrote a memo proposing an internet based hypertext system.
Tim Berners-Lee is known as father of HTML. The first available description of HTML was a document called "HTML Tags" proposed by Tim in late 1991.
Features of HTML
1) It is a very easy and simple language. It can be easily understood and modified.
2) It is very easy to make effective presentation with HTML because it has a lot of formatting tags.
3) It is a markup language so it provides a flexible way to design web pages along with the text.
4) It facilitates programmers to add link on the web pages (by html anchor tag) , so it enhances the interest of browsing of the user.
5) It is platform-independent because it can be displayed on any platform like Windows, Linux and Macintosh etc.
6) It facilitates the programmer to add Graphics, Videos, and Sound to the web pages which makes it more attractive and interactive.